Confusion with the evidence file against the man accused of Brittany Higgins rape has delayed the high-profile prosecution.
Acting for Bruce Lehrmann, lawyer John Korn told ACT Magistrates Court on Thursday that he initially received a police file containing information he should not have had access to.
Requesting an adjournment, Mr Korn said another dossier had been mailed to him, but it would take two weeks.
Prosecutors said they were ready to send the case to court but did not object to the adjournment.
Mr Korn also indicated that there were issues regarding travel restrictions related to COVID-19.
“If he (Mr Lehrmann) comes to New South Wales, he has to quarantine himself for a fortnight,” he said.
Mr Korn also said virus-related travel restrictions and quarantine requirements made it difficult to meet his client, who the court had previously said was in Queensland.
Mr Lehrmann appeared in court on Thursday via a telephone link. He was charged with sex without consent in Parliament in March 2019.
Asked by magistrate Beth Campbell if he could hear the proceedings, the 26-year-old replied, “I can, Your Honor.”
He has asked his defense to plead not guilty and the case is expected to return to court on November 5.
Ms Higgins went public in February, alleging that a then anonymous colleague raped her in Minister Linda Reynolds’ office in the run-up to the last election.
This led to a firestorm over the treatment of women in politics.