F1 LIVE: Leclerc warned of Ferrari criticism and Verstappen ‘could’ quit in 2028

Vettel highlights climate change at Miami GP

Sergio Perez triumphed in a chaotic and thrilling Monaco Grand Prix as Charles Leclerc’s dreams of winning on home soil were shattered by his flat-footed Ferrari team. Leclerc followed a wet start – delayed more than an hour after a deluge of rain just 12 minutes before the lights went out in Formula 1’s most famous race – to control the opening stages.

But the Monegasque race fell apart when Ferrari’s strategy was unveiled by Red Bull. Perez moved from third to first in the switch from wet to slick rubber, with Leclerc teammate Carlos Sainz second and world champion Max Verstappen third. Leclerc crossed the line in fourth, one place ahead of George Russell with Lando Norris sixth.

Lewis Hamilton started eight and finished in the same position, while Mick Schumacher emerged unscathed from an accident that saw his Haas machine sensationally split in two. After a frantic climax, Perez finished just 1.1 seconds ahead of Sainz with the top four covered by less than three seconds. Follow the live news and reactions from the Monaco Grand Prix below:

1653991855

Fernando Alonso explains how Lewis Hamilton cost Esteban Ocon points at the Monaco Grand Prix

Fernando Alonso says Lewis Hamilton cost Esteban Ocon points at the Monaco Grand Prix after the pair collided.

“We had to do a lot of tire management,” Alonso said. “We were worried that the yellow (medium) tires would grain a lot on our car, and the first 10 or 15 laps I took great care of the tyres.

“After that I pushed again when they told me Esteban had to make a five second gap, but at that point Hamilton didn’t want to push, he held Esteban at the back – yes, disappointing.”

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 11:10 a.m.

1653990203

Daniel Ricciardo’s time at McLaren is ‘over’, claims Jacques Villeneuve

Daniel Ricciardo’s time at McLaren F1 is “over”, according to 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve, who believes the team is about to part ways with the Australian.

Ricciardo has had a tough and uncompetitive start to the 2022 campaign, falling outside the top ten of the Drivers’ Championship standings.

The 32-year-old scored just eleven points, 37 behind team-mate Lando Norris, and again finished outside the points at the Monaco Grand Prix for the fourth race in a row.

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 10:43 a.m.

1653989234

Max Verstappen admits he ‘could’ leave F1 when Red Bull contract ends

Max Verstappen has said he “could stop” racing in Formula 1 when his long-term contract with Red Bull ends.

The 2021 world champion signed a new contract earlier this year which will keep him with the team until the end of the 2028 F1 season.

The 24-year-old has spent his entire career in the Red Bull setup, entering the grid with Toro Rosso aged 17 before joining Christian Horner’s team for the fifth race of the 2016 season.

Despite the Dutchman being 31 when the contract ends, Verstappen has now suggested he wants to pursue other opportunities in motorsport and may consider leaving F1, although he admits he is not certain of what the long-term future holds.

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 10:27 a.m.

1653987019

Monaco Grand Prix shouldn’t be in F1 for granted, says Toto Wolff

mercedes chief Toto Wolf says Monaco shouldn’t take their place on the Formula 1 calendar for granted.

As things stand, Sergio Perez’s victory on Sunday will be the last on the famous streets of Monte Carlo unless a new deal is agreed.

US F1 owners Liberty Media and the Automobile Club de Monaco remain locked in talks.

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 09:50

1653984727

Lando Norris admits Monaco Grand Prix was a ‘scary’ and ‘agonizing’ experience

Norris managed a sixth-place finish but admitted it was difficult to drive aggressively due to fear of making a mistake.

“I can’t describe how difficult it is to drive a Formula 1 car in the very wet conditions around this circuit,” he told Sky Sports F1. “It’s one of the most nerve-wracking and scariest things I’ve ever done in my life.

“It’s so difficult. You know you want to push because you know others can make mistakes, but when you think like that, that’s when you start to make a mistake too.

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 09:12

1653984007

Team principal Guenther Steiner unhappy with Mick Schumacher crash in Monaco

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner is unhappy with Mick Schumacher’s crash at Monaco, insisting the team must “move on”.

“I feel good,” Schumacher said. “Obviously it’s very boring. I think in terms of pace we were definitely there, it’s just a matter of staying the course, and unfortunately I couldn’t do that.

“The pace was strong and we felt like we were able to attack and push. We just ended up being a little too wide, which is maybe a matter of 10cm at the end, and that was enough to lose any grip you thought you had. And unfortunately, the result is as it happened.

Mick Schumacher’s Haas car breaks in two after an accident at the Monaco Grand Prix (Christian Bruna/TNZT)

(TNZT)

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 09:00

1653983407

Nico Rosberg thinks Sergio Perez sent message to Red Bull with Monaco Grand Prix win

Perez’s performance is exactly what he needs to show Red Bull boss Christian Horner, according to Rosberg.

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 08:50

1653982507

Charles Leclerc said not to criticize Ferrari because “he’s screwed up enough himself”

Leclerc was left furious after the Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday when his team told him to pit for new tires before changing his mind. When Ferrari told Leclerc they had reversed their decision, he had already boxed. The moment cost the Monegasque the lead in his home race.

“He’s messed up enough himself, so he should be gentle,” Schumacher said Sky Germany. “Things happen. You win together and lose together. So far the team has done less harm than him.

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 08:35

1653981839

Christian Horner pushes the Sky Sports reporter into the pool after the Monaco Grand Prix

Ferrari started the race with a shutout in the front row, as Leclerc started on pole in his home race and Carlos Sainz lined up second. Leclerc’s misfortune at Monaco continued, however, as he came fourth, although Sainz was able to retain second place.

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 08:23

1653981193

Max Verstappen hints he ‘could’ quit in 2028 when Red Bull contract expires

Max Verstappen has hinted he will leave Formula 1 in 2028 when his contract with Red Bull expires.

“I don’t plan to change teams. I’m happy here and they’re happy with me,” explained Verstappen. “But I haven’t decided yet what I will do after 2028. I could quit.

“I’ve been in Formula 1 since I was 17. It has been a long time. I did a lot of seasons in F1. I may want to do different things. At 31, I don’t know if I will have peaked or where the drop in performance may have occurred.

“I want to do other kinds of races, endurance races for example. Maybe I’ll get tired of traveling all the time. Maybe I’ll want an easier life and just do the races I want. Whenever an opportunity arises to win a championship, you want to take it. If I’m in a fight in 2028, it might be stupid to quit suddenly. It’s hard to know.

Jack RathbornMay 31, 2022 08:13