Nearly 20,000 Qantas employees will receive a “one-time boost” of $5,000 as the airlines share the spoils of its post-pandemic recovery.
Qantas boss Alan Joyce announced the documents on Friday.
“The past few years have been difficult for everyone in aviation, but we have promised to share the benefits of recovery once it arrives,” he said.
“Today, we are announcing a one-time payment that recognizes the sacrifices made by our employees, including long periods without work and without an annual salary increase. He also recognizes the great job they are doing as we restart the airline, which has been a challenge for everyone.
“This comes at a time when demand for travel is rebounding, but our people are facing a unique set of cost of living pressures, which frankly they would be better able to manage if aviation had not been hit so hard over the past two years. years. This is changing.
The one-time payment comes on top of permanent 2 per cent pay rises being negotiated across Qantas, following a two-year pay freeze. Mr Joyce said the airline ‘cannot afford to permanently raise salaries’ beyond the 2% offer.
The boost to the recovery will come after the finalization of company negotiations. It is not open to executives and senior managers.
It also comes on top of stock rights worth about $4,500 granted to non-executive employees under a clawback and retention program announced earlier in 2022.
“Adjusting our ongoing cost base is how we can reinvest, which ultimately means more opportunity for our employees,” Joyce said.
“The structure of our business means that many of our employees see their salaries increase significantly as their careers progress. This progression often hinges on business growth, so the recent investments we announced in new aircraft and new businesses will see employees share in the benefits as the national carrier enters a new phase.
The Qantas group has announced cumulative losses of around $6 billion since the start of the pandemic. It expects another “significant annual loss” this financial year, although there was a big improvement in the second half of the year as travel demand rebounded.
This rebound was again evident at Melbourne and Brisbane airports on Friday, with a further influx of passengers ahead of the start of the July school holidays.
Travelers have been warned to expect long queues, delayed flights and lost luggage as airports continue to adapt to increased demand and continue to rebuild their workforces work decimated after thousands were made redundant due to a lack of flights.
“Our forecast shows that the July school holidays will be even busier than what we saw in April,” said Sydney Airport CEO Geoff Culbert.
“It’s great to see the continued demand for air travel. But we’re not going to sugarcoat the fact that the terminals will be busy during school holidays and there will be queues.
Sydney Airport expects more than two million passengers between June 24 and July 17, with 1.5 million expected to fly domestically.
Total passenger traffic is back to 69% of pre-COVID levels, the airport said.
Melbourne Airport is also expecting similar numbers, with more than 2.1 million people expected to pass through its terminals.
“The root cause of these challenges is that every business at the airport is rebuilding its workforce and doing so in the tightest job market in nearly half a century,” Mr. Culbert said. .
Qantas has borne the brunt of the wrath of travelers on social media in recent days, with many reporting missing and delayed flights.
On Thursday, the airline said it was ‘removing all stops and working with airports and suppliers to ensure the upcoming holiday period is not affected by the significant disruption customers faced over Easter’ .
With its budgetary subsidiary Jetstar, it recruited more than 1000 operational team members with 20% more personnel on the availability lists than during the Easter period.